There is a rapidly growing number of community energy projects all working towards zero emissions, with community members participating in renewable projects in order to decentralise and decarbonise our energy system. Community energy may come in the form of solar, bioenergy and wind projects, and supporting and getting involved could involve donating, researching or volunteering.
Here are a few options you can choose from:
Coalition for Community Energy
The Coalition for Community Energy (C4CE) is the peak body for Australia’s community energy sector, compiling of over 100 member groups who aim to transform their community, helping groups initiate and develop renewable projects.
- Donate or volunteer - donate funds to help build a renewable future, or get in touch to talk about helping out.
- Advocate - get involved with campaigning for the Local Power Plan.
Beyond Zero Emissions
An internationally recognised think tank that shows through independent research and innovative solutions how Australia can prosper in a zero-emissions economy.
- Volunteer - join Beyond Zero Emissions' volunteer team and lend your expertise to help deliver real climate solutions.
Solar Citizens are an independent organisation aiming to protect and grow renewable energy in Australia, running campaigns that utilise people power to put pressure on decision makers and bring about a renewable Australian future.
- Get involved - get involved with Solar Citizens as a digital or outreach volunteer.
Community Power Agency
Community Power Agency advocate for community energy, supporting Australians to engage with and transition to renewable energy sources, providing expert support and advice.
- Advocacy - learn about CPA’s advocacy and policy work and how you can get involved.
- Local Power Plan - get behind the blueprint for Australians to benefit from local and cheap energy by signing the campaign.
- Donate - give now to power community energy.
A national NFP that inspires and advocates sustainable and renewable living in homes and communities.
- Community energy resources - learn about projects, the Z-net model, and community solar examples.
- Donate - donate towards a sustainable future.
- Join - sign up for a membership to get involved and informed about community energy
Sustainability Victoria aim to support Victorians in a transition to a climate-resilient economy and renewable future.
- Supporting community energy - projects and examples within Victoria as well as guides on community energy and solar.
Community Energy England
Community Energy England is a not-for-profit organisation that helps community energy organisations create and implement new projects by advocating for a policy landscape that will support community energy and providing opportunities for community energy practitioners to connect, learn, share business models and help each other overcome obstacles.
- If you’d like to get involved at the local level, you can volunteer with this series of partners that are all members of the Community Energy England movement
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
The Ontario Clean Air Alliance is aiming to move Ontario towards a 100% renewable energy future through an integrated combination of energy conservation and efficiency, local green energy, and energy cooperation with Hydro Quebec.
- If you are interested in this work and live in the Ontario area, then you can volunteer with the Clean Air Alliance